The Fraternity Building was built during the time known as the Reconstruction and Growth (1866-1916) period. Built circa 1900 it was constructed as a two-part brick commercial building on an important corner site on what was, at the time, C Street, (commonly referred to as "country road") later named Third Avenue. While most properties in the city ran parallel to the river, this busy main road that ran into the town from the south (coming down Third Avenue towards Main Street) was constructed with properties that were aligned to face the road.
The building was renovated in 2005 and The Side Door was officially established in 2007. It has been a hot-spot for meetings and social gatherings for nearly 10 years.
During Radford's industrial boom several fraternal, social and civic organizations were begun in the city. By 1890 fraternal orders of "B.L.E. Central Division #301", the "A.F. & A.M. Virginia May Lodge #38" and the "Improved Order of Red Men, High Sun Tribe #74" were meeting regularly. The last known meetings were for "W.O.W.", "A.O.K. of M.C.", "B.L.F & E.", and "B.R. & T.". However, numerous other civic clubs, educational groups, book clubs, and even a bicycle club were some of the common groups who populated the building during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.